Passport Parental Consent – Form DS-3053


The passport parental consent, or statement of consent (Form DS-3053), is used in the event a minor (person under 16 years of age) is applying for a passport and only one of the parents/guardians can be present. Both parents/guardians must authorize the issuance of a minor’s passport and must provide the proper documentation of citizenship and guardianship. If one of them isn’t able to appear for the application process, the non-applying guardian must grant permission by completing a statement of consent and submitting it with the child’s DS-11 Form. The non-applying parent/guardian must sign Form 3053 in front of a notary and present a piece of government-issued photo identification. This identification must be photocopied (front and back) and submitted along with the parental consent form.

How to Write

Step 1 Download Form 3053 in Adobe PDF.

Step 2 – Read page 1 of the consent form before continuing to page 2. On page 2, enter the following information into Sections (1) and (2):

Minor’s last name

Minor’s first name

Minor’s middle name

Minor’s date of birth

Select the box that applies to the type of authorization being validated under Section (3).


Step 3 – Under Section 4, “Statement Of Consent”, the non-applying guardian must include their name and the name of the minor applying for a passport. They must also provide their physical address, telephone number, and email address. The bottom part of Section 4 can only be completed in the presence of a notary public. This part must include the non-applying parent/guardian’s signature and the date.


Step 4 – Section 5 is to be completed by the notary public.


Need a Notary Public? Walk-in's are welcomed at:

440 S Alameda Street, Los Angeles, CA 90013

Mon-Wed 9-5pm, Thurs/Fri 10-5pm

Don’t have time to visit us, we can come to you (travel fee will apply). Schedule an appointment below.

Application for Duplicate or Paperless Title REG 227

How to File a Divorce in California